The Five Mile Point Light is a lighthouse in New Haven, Connecticut that is located five miles from downtown New Haven and marks the harbor entrance to Long Island Sound. It replaced the original lighthouse that had a weak light and low elevation, which provided no protection from disaster (at least one ship crashed into the rocks about a mile from the light). This “new” lighthouse was built for $10,000 and opened in 1847. Like its predecessor, its light was extinguished in 1877 when the offshore Southwest Ledge Light replaced it for navigation. Today the beacon is still dark but remains the centerpiece of New Haven’s Lighthouse Point Park and its tower was renovated in 1986.